Thursday, July 24, 2008

thankful

Been less than a week since my female owner left. Time crawls when she is not around, even though she is hardly around when she is in Singapore. At least we know that she is somewhere near. We feel more secure too. Coz we know that if we fall ill again, she would not hesitate to bring us to the Vet. I know that her mother would not bother to do such things, simply because she thinks it’s a waste of money.

My female owner has been thinking about her time in Singapore, and realised that she has many things to be thankful for. First of all, her family who had been supporting her very expensive and time-consuming endeavour (and possibly suffering in silence too). She mustered up her courage to dedicate a flute item to her family during her father’s 60th birthday. Not perfect playing I must say (I was there!) but the sincerity was there.

Second, to her friends who made time to be with her, often at the last minute. Some even took leave to spend time with her. That really touched her heart, coz leave has always been something so sacred for the Singapore worker.

For these, my female owner concluded that the trip back was worthwhile, despite the implications on her coursework.

Third, for the financial support from different individuals. At his first opportunity, her brother shoved $500 in her hands, saying it was to off-set her air-ticket (as previously offered) and when she said she had already paid for it, told her to use it as spending money. Her father also tried offering her a wad of money, but knowing that her father is semi-retired and feeling embarrassed to sponge off him, my female owner took $50 from him as a token gesture. Her father ended up changing some AUD dollars for her, which she had no choice but to receive with grace. Her friends, many who are earning average income, also insisted on paying for her meals, or refusing to take her money for things that she should be paying for. The biggest “donor” was her auntie who gave her a $1000 note in a red packet on the day of her departure. This auntie is not financially well-off so her kind gesture warmed my female owner’s heart greatly.

Looking back, my female owner realised that although she didn’t binge-eat in Singapore, the reason why she put on so much weight in such a short time was because she spent a lot of time eating with her family and friends. For this, the weight gain was in vain. (Hey, it rhymes!)

Now it’s time to lose those kilos.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you mean the weight gain was NOT in vain?

Anonymous said...

yes yes! you are truly an editor by day and by night. i shall have to coach Nooki on her grammar. please pardon her based on her youth! =p

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook