Thursday, May 01, 2008

squabbles n gandhi

As always, my female owner feels happy whenever she catches up with friends she hasn’t spoken to for a long time. This afternoon, she did so with two people.

Mr Squabbles
An ex-colleague whom she got to know better only last year when they attended a crisis negotiation course together. Together with her Librarian Fren, they started attending church together (all of them had stopped going for different reasons) and somehow, managed to restart their Christian walk. The two of them used to squabble a lot, much to the amusement of her Librarian Fren. Hence the nickname.

Mr Squabbles was also the unfortunate guy fren who was around when my female owner fainted in the toilet. He had to lug her out and wait for her to regain consciousness (which my female owner, in spite of her unconsciousness state, heard all the things he said about her – you are so heavy! If you don’t wake up now, I will let you smell my socks. Beer is good, margarita is bad. Etc). So in a way, she owes her life to him.

Mr Squabbles is one of the few Christian friends whom my female owner shares her thoughts about God, her faith and spiritual struggles with. Although they don’t communicate very often, there is probably some kind of spiritual bonding between them that keeps the friendship going. The nice thing about today’s conversation was that Mr Squabbles ended by saying that he would keep my female owner in his prayers. That’s probably one of the most touching things he ever said to her (they always squabble, remember?).

Gandhi
Someone whom my female owner has known for more than 10 years. Never really close in the sense of spending a lot of time together, but always getting along well whenever they are together. He calls her Mother Theresa and she calls him Gandhi.

The strange affair started years ago when he was camping with some friends in church and the group of friends (which included Second Onli Fren) was hungry in the middle of the night. They called my female owner (who lived nearby) and asked if she had food. She offered to cook them noodles and gleefully, they popped over for their hot midnight snack. That was how the nicknames came about.

He was so funny. He came online and the first thing he said to my female owner after a super long absence was “sorry, I missed your party.” The party actually took place 3 months ago. He sounded as if he was living with the guilt of missing her farewell party for the past 3 months! But it’s really nice having Gandhi around, coz he’s so funny that he never fails to make my female owner laugh. Whatever that makes her happy, make us happy too.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook