Friday, May 02, 2008

card

We received something from our female owner today! Well, not really us turtles, but my female owner’s mother. It was a Mother’s Day card! For some reason, Australian Post was really fast with the delivery. It apparently found its way here within the week. The same can’t be said for mails sent from Singapore to Australia. My female owner had to wait ages for her documents to be sent over.

I was also about to say that my female owner hardly writes any cards for her parents. In fact, the last time she did, she was probably still a child. Her parents, on the other hand, would give her birthday cards with some short personal messages on them.

My female owner used to receive them with apprehension. Coz you see, her parents didn’t approve of our owners’ relationship. So many years ago when they first started dating, her parents used to write long letters to her, expressing their disappointment and disapproval. She would come home to find letters on her bed or table. At night, one parent would knock at her door and spend the next hour talking AT her. Even the birthday cards used to have cryptic messages like “choose wisely”.

My female owner definitely caused her parents a lot of sleepless nights and grief during that turbulent period. It’s hard to really understand why my female owner chose to be with my male owner despite the opposition (if she didn’t do what she did, we won’t be here anyway). I don’t think my female owner can fully explain her decision even now.

It’s a pity that something so intimate like letter writing left her with such unpleasant memories. My female owner kept all the letters from her parents but never read the last few coz she was too tired to. The letters also stopped coming after a period of time. My female owner finally threw away the letters last year, when she was sure there was no turning back in the relationship. Oh well, that also meant she threw away all the letters and cards which my male owner gave her.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook