Thursday, May 08, 2008

reasons

Just after my female owner started work at her former workplace, she had an impromptu Macdonald’s breakfast with her immediate boss. Being Christians, they went a little beyond professional discussion to talk about why they were in the helping profession. At the end of the sharing, her immediate boss told her to write down the reasons so that in trying times, these reasons would spur her on. He also told her to find a psychologist whom she could emulate.

At the end of her 3-year career stint, my female owner failed to write down her reasons. Neither was she able to identify anyone who truly inspired her.

Going over to Brisbane, I wonder if she managed to write down her reasons for pursuing her current field (which her clinical supervisor at the mental hospital in Singapore once shared with her that it was a “toxic environment”) and/or find some inspiring clinicians to model after.

I wonder why she wants to listen to people air their problems and darkest secrets. Isn’t it very depressing, especially if you can't help them? Last time, she used to come to the Balcony in the middle of the night when she felt troubled and we had to gather round to hear her bear her heart to us (yah, Dodo made us do it... and the topic usually revolved around our male owner…). We turtles found those times traumatising.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook