Thursday, May 15, 2008

friends

My female owner is a chronic contemplator. She thinks about things (not necessarily deeply) all the time. Most of the time, it's because she can't make up her mind on issues. The flavour of the moment – drifting away from friends whom you were once close to. The topic was sparked off through an exchange with an ex-colleague.

Being a long time resident in the Balcony (about 5-6 years), I have seen many of my female owner’s friends. (We live very near her first church, so her church friends used to pop over all the time. Her house was even used as a bible study venue. Highly popular, due to the prime location and yummy suppers prepared by her mother.) Some of her friends kept appearing for a period of time, never to be seen again. Some of them came once or twice (during a special occasion) and I never saw them again. Others, like Onli Fren, Second Onli Fren come a few times/ year, over the years I’ve stayed here. Some, I’ve never seen before, but I know they exist – like Potahto and Functional Fren (they dragged her home before).

Among all these friends, there were some whom she used to be really close to, but alas, over time and distance, they drifted apart. It’s sad, doesn’t it? People who used to mean so much to you, cease to matter in your daily life.

My female owner does not know how long she will be in Brisbane but reckons that it won’t be for more than 5 years. In other words, this stage of her life is transitory. So she has to make the most out of it while she’s “living her dream”. She then wonders about the friendships she would have made by then.

While she hopes not to lose any, she wonders how many she will be able to maintain… and which ones would cease to exist (sadly) when she leaves?

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook