Sunday, March 16, 2008

not so 18

Those close to my female owner (esp her long-suffering ex-colleagues) would know that she declares herself to be 18 years old. Her "18 years old" jokes will seep into their conversations at the most unexpected moments, resulting in varied responses such as tickled laughter (from her Librarian Fren), rolling of eyes (Potato) or quiet amusement (Eggplant).

It helps also, that she's the youngest in the above mentioned group. So, it was natural for them to entertain her juvenile aspirations.

Coming here, my female owner took a 180degree roundabout turn regarding her stated age. Now, she says that she is 18+++++ (the number of pluses is random). This is because, she realised all too soon that she's probably older than most of the people around her. It's like there was a bible study session where the question was, "what do you see yourself in 5 years' time?" One of the girls said that in 5 years' time, she would be X age and my female owner almost fainted, coz she was at least X+2 years already. The age gap is so stark, it's difficult to convince herself that she's 18, when she's in the company of so many young people who are closer to 18 than she is!

Anyway, my female owner shared this episode with her Librarian Fren (who is currently studying in London and actually once said that she misses the "18 years old" jokes). And the dear fren replied... "in our hearts, you will always be 18 years old"

Aww... so sweet.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook