Thursday, March 20, 2008

expectancy

My female owner found out that her Onli Fren is expecting!

My female owner's first encounter with a pregnant woman (from conception to birth of the baby as opposed to a fleeting experience) was not a pleasant one. The woman, her immediate senior colleague, morphed from a reasonably chatty person into a highly demanding, noisy and somewhat unreasonable person. The office had to cater to her idiosyncrasies (or her baby's?). My female owner was somewhat traumatised by the transformation and withdrew even more into her shell. She was thankful when the colleague returned to her usual self after the delivery. Since then, she never quite liked pregnant women and tried to stay clear of them.

Her Onli Fren's pregnancy of course, marks the first one where she is genuinely interested. While their friendship spans more than half their life, the strength of their friendship is even more amazing. Apparently, they started off not liking each other. Onli Fren thought that my female owner was unfriendly (she still is!) while my female owner felt that she was annoying (for deliberately ignoring her at church). Oh well, like the Chinese saying goes, "if you don't cross paths, you won't know each other". So, the friendship developed after Onli Fren called my female owner to clear up a misunderstanding.

Over the years, there were times when they did not speak to each other often. However, any friendship, built upon God's leading, stays strong. The two of them have spent so many precious moments together - studying, celebrating birthdays/ Valentine's days, travelling, hair cuts, facials, praying, leading a cell-group, camping, shopping, eating, suppering, pooling, bridging, driving, lazing with us turtles!, bearing each other's burdens, cooking, MSNing (how can I miss that out?!). The list goes on. Without her Onli Fren's unconditional love, acceptance and patience (whom my female owner calls her affectionately as Cuppie-cake), my female owner won't be who she is today. The baby is blessed to have such a mother (and father of course!).

Such a warm feeling, to know that her Onli Fren is moving on to the next stage of her life. It's like when you make friends in your teenage years, you never really think ahead about your friends becoming mothers. Now that reality has hit home, you then realise that so many years have passed, so many things have changed, but the friendship still remains central in your life.

We are excited too!

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook