Thursday, December 31, 2009

decade

Traditionally, my female owner doesn’t really know what to do with her birthday or new year’s eve or new year’s day. The reflective nature in her thinks that it is a great idea to consolidate the year’s happenings (u know, like do a year review) and when this part is done, to start the new year with some goal-setting. But the unstructured (and lazy) part of her usually treats these days as ordinary (holi)days.

But I guess, this year is kinda different, since… erm… she is going to hit a new decade of her life soon. So anyway, in order to gain inspiration for her reflection, my female owner turned to things that I had written in the past one year as a means to see how things have changed or progressed.

Compared to her previous break in Singapore, my female owner has mellowed. She is no longer obsessed with going out all the time and has become comfortable with staying home by herself. By the same token, she values her family more and would rather spend time with them than to fill her days with social appointments. In addition, my female owner has also relinquished her obsession with favourite foods like fried food (too disgusting), kaya toast (too sweet), carbs like rice and noodles (but a necessary evil), chocolates and cakes (too sweet and fattening). This is not in response to any dieting attempts but somehow, her tastebuds have changed and she finds herself getting full with smaller quantities too.

My female owner thinks that as a person, she has become more calm and more easy-going. While her natural tendency is to be easily triggered by anxiety and worry, my female owner believes she is better able to keep these emotions in check – in short, more self-awareness of her internal state. Socially, she definitely made more friends (but also lost some along the way). She still subscribes to her peculiar manner of categorising friends and has unintentionally misled several people into thinking that she is warmer and more extroverted than she actually is.

As a wandering Christian, my female owner has gained a firmer foundation in God. At a slow but steady pace she says. My female owner still retains a certain level of cynicism towards things she observes, but she testifies without any doubt, of God’s love and faithfulness for His children. She reckons that she has a long way to go and is still vulnerable to being derailed. Hence, she probably needs to be more disciplined, keep herself in check and connect deeper with Christians.
Methinks her decision making is still very questionable and her passivity and commitment phobia are major issues. But I must give her credit for being more involved in people’s lives and for venturing out of her comfort zone on many occasions. As they say, there’s always room for improvement.

Cheers to a year well-travelled!

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook