Tuesday, December 22, 2009

matrimonial

My female owner had an insightful discussion with Functional Fren regarding the concept of a matrimonial home. Actually, my female owner never really thought of a home within the context of “matrimonial”. To her, setting up a house is a natural (and practical) step for married couples… and the big benefit is being able to set it up the way you really want (and get those yummy furnishings).

She never realised that a matrimonial home is supposed to be a safe haven for the couple. A place where the couple can return to, at the end of a long day, and find comfort and solace in something they set up jointly. Until recently, my female owner never reflected about the psychological and emotional significance of a matrimonial home (she's so functional at times).

If she were to set up a matrimonial home, my female owner would guard it jealously. Not possessively, but jealously, setting clear boundaries on what would be accessible to family and friends and what would remain as sacred between her husband and her. And well, if she doesn’t get married, she will get a house… and make it her own nonetheless.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook