Tuesday, December 08, 2009

surprise

If you see how my female owner cried today, you would think she is leaving Brisbane for good.

It all started when Korean Jogging Kaki sent an sms to say that I-Fren (they are staying together) had just left his house to go over to her house to fetch her to the airport. This led my female owner to think that Korean Jogging Kaki was not coming to send her off. Between the sms and I-Fren’s arrival, my female owner got distracted by her missing laptop case (which she never found in the end). I-Fren finally arrived and helped to carry out her luggage to the car. With his hands full, he requested her to open the car boot.

Distracted by her missing laptop case and the previous night’s emo outburst, my female owner dutifully opened the car boot, and out sprang Korean Jogging Kaki. And of course, my easily startled female owner screamed in shock. Wahaha. Such a heart-warming send-off.

In the car to the airport, my female owner started tearing, those kind that she had to try her hardest to stop by deliberating distracting herself. The emotions that washed over her were familiar. Those tears, she shed too, the day she left for Brisbane for the first time. Those tears, uncontrollable, kept flowing as she sat in her father’s car. This time round, she managed to stop herself coz the guys started talking random things and she shifted her focus.

Saying goodbye again, for the second time, was no easier than the night before. It didn’t help that the goodbye was abrupt and she was left drowning in her own salty tears. A friend called and my female owner started crying over the phone. SMSes came and the tears started again. Yes, once she starts, it’s hard to stop. It’s like intermittent rain. Start stop start stop. Easily triggered by any random moving cloud. When she thought she finally got over it, yet another phone call from Therapist Fren opened the flood gates. But as usual, Therapist Fren was able to calm her down and soothe her distress (that’s why she’s called Therapist Fren).

Therapist Fren noted that my female owner had been spending a lot more time with Korean Jogging Kaki (and the rest of the camping gang) in recent weeks. She joked that it was the “urgency of a deadline”, the knowing that such times are coming to an end. Isn’t that how one should live one’s life? Not taking for granted that “there is still time” but to really seize the day and make each day count. One day, tomorrow will end, and if you don’t cherish the people around you, you would regret that you have neglected them.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook