Friday, December 12, 2008

contain

My female owner says that when God pours out His grace upon your life, it overflows and you cannot contain it.

Today, my female owner received an email from the clinic manager, with the title “proud of you!”. She thought it was a mass email to all interns, congratulating everyone on completing her (stinky) internship folios.

Turns out that it was an email written to her, and cc-ed to her CMI supervisor. The clinic manager wrote to inform my female owner that one of her clients was so impressed by the service provided by my female owner that she donated $200 to the clinic. The clinic manager added that in her years at the clinic, she never “had a spontaneous donation or such a great unsolicited testimonial”.

I suppose this gesture spoke volumes as the client is a full-time student who is working part-time to support herself. She presented to the clinic to get a neuropsychological assessment of her current cognitive functioning so that she could apply for disability services when she starts university next year. My female owner was the bearer of bad news as she had to tell her client that she has a learning disorder, with low average IQ, writing difficulties etc etc. Hence, to craft an email to the university (my female owner was not sure where it was addressed to, but the head of the school of psychology was the one who emailed the clinic manager) would have taken much effort on her client’s part.

It was also a public acknowledgement of my female owner’s interpersonal skills and professionalism. This is important in light of her CMI supervisor’s recent criticism that one of her shortcomings was her accent (as if she can change that) and understanding of local colloquialism. The gesture also provided more evidence for her that “she is not as bad as she thinks she is”.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook