Monday, December 22, 2008

challenge

[continued]

And so, my female owner ended up at a bible study group on a Friday night (her Friday nights have not been very “happening” so far).

For some strange reason, she found it easy to talk to the strangers there. She even told JF not to bother about her, that she would take care of herself. The people present were generally about her REAL age or older. Their warmness, sincerity and friendliness made her feel at home very quickly. Although it was small talk, she could sense their genuine interest in her.

Among all the people who spoke to my female owner during dinner, one person, whom she figured was the leader of the group (and my female owner forgot her name), stood out. Very aptly, she challenged my female owner to make her days at Brisbane count, to look beyond her academic pursuit and to build up relationships. She reminded my female owner that personal development is as important as completing her course. And after hearing that my female owner is a Christian, she challenged my female owner to take an active part in her church and bible study group. Words of knowledge spoken by a stranger, affirming the issues that my female owner has been mulling over. It was as if God was talking straight to her.

The main session was even more ministering. They screened a short movie about a Singaporean male who was a former drug addict. He was a hardcore drug addict who was in and out of prison (the longest time he was out of prison was 7 months, and the shortest time was 8 hours). Once in prison, he was caned for a drug offence. Out of boredom, he asked the Malay prison guard for a comic. The guard handed him a Chinese bible instead. He read a passage from the Bible (where there was a bookmark), was convicted by what he read, cried out to God for forgiveness and and repented of his ways. That was the turning point of his life. By God’s grace, he was transformed into a gospel composer and musician and is now reaching out to current drug addicts and prisoners.

That video touched my female owner. It was again, an apt reminder of how God can transform lives and use people, but only if they are willing to. My female owner, once again, felt the challenge to be more committed to her Christian faith, to expand her comfort zone and to be willing to step out to be used by God.

Ah, I don’t think she can ignore this prompting for much longer.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook