Sunday, August 10, 2008

struggles

One of my female owner’s gripes about being in Brisbane is not having people around her whom she will relate to emotionally. Traditionally, she has been selective about opening up to people in her life. Even in her previous relationship, she found it so difficult to talk about emotional issues (save for workplace-related anger!) that she found herself communicating on a largely superficial level.

So tonight, it was rare that she and her Singaporean friend had a short heart-to-heart chat as they walked home together, sharing about their struggles as international postgrad students.

The transience of friendships formed in the new country.

The slow but sure drifting apart of friends in the home country. Friends move on, through different life stages (marriage, parenthood and career progression) while students remain as students. Divergent concerns, interests and issues result.

The family and loved ones left behind for many years.

The difficulties in adjusting back to the home country upon return. New mindsets, expectations and even language.

The dilemma of staying on in the new country for work or to return to the home country where (see previous point).

(My female owner didn’t mention about the pets left behind!)

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook