Sunday, August 24, 2008

inspiration

My female owner suffered a relapse and has been binge-eating for 2 days. The reason for her outburst is that she has to churn out a research proposal outline by Sunday for her research supervisor to approve. Her head has been swimming with questions and uncertainties and she found that it was difficult to get down to the drawing board. Exasperated, she retrieved her Honours thesis for some inspiration to try to start rolling out research ideas. For the life of her, my female owner couldn’t recall how she started that arduous process of formulating a research idea, confirming the research methodology, working through the statistics and finally writing up the paper.

In the process of gaining some inspiration (and possibly losing some instead), my female owner came across some random phrases which she reckoned she was she was once familiar with, but are now distant snippest of information (oh no! will that happen to us turtles?!)


“moderated repeated–measures regression analyses”

“psychophysiological reactivity hypothesis and the social-support reactivity hypothesis”

“large social network on behavioural, neuroendocrine and hemodynamic pathways”

“a power analysis of the sample size needed to detect a medium size in a two-way interaction”

“a standard occluding cuff with an internal sensor for detecting Korokoff sounds was positioned over the brachial artery”

“Principal components analysis (PCA) with Promax rotation was then used to reduce the dimensionality of the 15 mood adjectives”


Now you know why I suspect that whatever inspiration she had oozed away when she read through her previous thesis.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook