Friday, August 22, 2008

counseling

My female owner had a mini-counselling session with her trained counselor friend last night. After a while of talking/ typing (since it’s MSN), the friend commented that her counseling skills had improved.

Wahaha. Always one for feedback, my female owner asked in what ways and the friend highlighted that her questions provoked more thinking whereas in the past, she was more directive.

Yay! An endorsement from a trained personnel. My female owner is heading in the right direction.

The power of asking the right questions.

Actually, my female owner had never been trained in counseling. She didn’t pursue that module in school and learnt her hand-me-down skills from her ex-colleagues at work, some of whom hated to do counseling! And using those hand-me-down skills (thankfully she was armed with a short stint at a mental hospital), she had to assess lay people on their aptitude to be a para-counselor, conduct workshops to train them in counseling and provide counseling to others who need it.

Going to Brisbane, she starts to learn the science behind the art and is now able to apply the techniques with greater appreciation.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook