Friday, August 01, 2008

research

My female owner finally settled on her thesis supervisor. This thesis is apparently so big that it will take up the entire third year of her programme, at an exorbitant fee of at least AUD$24000. No lectures, no tutorials, nothing, except the supervisor’s guidance. Pretty good way of making money, I must say.

Actually, my female owner didn’t give much thought into choosing a supervisor (i.e. she didn’t go shopping around for supervisors, but just decided on the first one who came to mind). That’s pretty much how she started her second relationship with my ex-male owner – without much thought. She’s like that. She always believed in her amazing (and often non-existent) ability to adapt to people. 6.5 years later, after a failed relationship and clashes with quirky ex-colleagues, she learnt to be slightly wiser.

The most outstanding characteristic about her supervisor is that he reminds her of her flute teacher. Wahaha. Long-suffering friends who supported my female owner through her downs and downers (not much ups) of flute education would remember how stressed and traumatised my female owner was in attending flute lessons.

While she enjoyed the learning process, she had to grapple with her flute teacher’s eccentricity and mood swings. He was point-blank blunt and hardly overtly encouraging. No one could understand why my female owner stuck with him (neither could I). There were times when my female owner came so close to switching teachers but she (as mentioned above) tends not to switch around once she has committed to something/ someone. Moreover, she could see his silent dedication to his students and appreciated the stability and reliability she saw in him.

Anyway, this supervisor scared the daylight out of many of her coursemates previously when he was teaching them in one module. He was strict, provocative (intellectually of course) and non-conventional. My female owner was slightly shakened by him too, but realised quite quickly that he is a softie and caring teacher at heart. It could be that her coursemates were not able to connect with him because he’s an Asian.

So there you go, a professional relationship formed, with a snap of your fingers.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook