Tuesday, August 26, 2008

cookie

You know, although my hot-blooded brothers had previously made the turtles living next door pregnant and caused them to lay 12 eggs in quick succession, my female owner had never put pressure on us (Nanook and myself) to produce mini-turtles. For that, I am grateful. I’m just like my female owner, lacking in maternal instinct. I can’t imagine being a mother. There’s a fine line between being maternal and being “auntie” and that’s why my female owner is guarded in the way she expresses concern for people.

My female owner once thought that she would be a mother by 18+++yrs. She was heading towards a cookie cutter middleclass Singaporean lifestyle. Study hard, go to university, get a good job, find a stable guy (who also did the same thing as her – studied hard, went to university, secured a good job, found a good wife (in her?)), get married and have two children.

When she realised that her cookie cutter lifestyle was probably not working out, she started to pursue her alternative lifestyle choice. While it is scary being out of norm, she has convinced herself that her non-cookie lifestyle has its perks too.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hahah this is an innovative way to talk about the current raging debate!!

Anonymous said...

haha. you know what, this was written before our depressive chat that had no outcome.

now you know why i always say i have no time... so easily distracted. I think i have ADHD.

Unknown said...

hahah you blog so diligently!! thats commitment for you. which i dont have. so much for being a writer wannabe. is blogging cathartic for you?

Anonymous said...

haha, coz i got no life and no social life here, so blogging is the only way i can "talk" to someone?! i'm only committed to non-humans loh...
i was thinking of setting up another blog to journal my development as a therapist... but as you may be identify with my reservations, writing in first person means that higher self-disclosure is needed.

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook