Tuesday, January 05, 2010

west

Recently, Functional Fren brought my female owner on a mini roadtrip to the far far (no kidding) west of Singapore. Functional Fren is one of the few Singaporeans friends she has who get energised by spending time with nature and can sprout plant facts spontaneously.

Within 4 hours, they visited a dragonfruit farm (which harvests other kinds of plants), a hill with a pseudo-lake, home to many turtles (which did not show up for some reasons) and a nature reserve. It was almost like a science excursion for my female owner as she gleaned random plants facts from green fingers Functional Fren. My female owner had heaps of impromptu fun, exploring these otherwise unknown gems of Singapore. She started to embrace the charms of far far west and took delight in knowing that there are still some parts of Singapore untarnished by urbanisation.

At the Dragon Fruit Farm...
My female owner learnt that pineapples are actually a form of cacti. Did you know that?

And there are long beans which are red... That this is not grass, but chives. Peppers are really small.. and something about the process to get white peppers instead of black involves "polishing" them early (something like that).. Besides the fact that dragonfruits don't grow in January, she also found out that they are the fruits of a cactus. and these round balls are not vegetables or some gourd-like edibles but..
... passion fruits in the process of ripening! (also her first time trying real passionfruit!) She also figured that some lady fingers are really too huge to be called as such..
Little Guilin at Bukit Batok

Where they came to look for turtles, but for some strange reasons, they could only spot two. My female owner learnt the this area was previously a granite quarry.

The setting makes it suitable to film period dramas..

Looks like quite a nice place to chill eh... except that it is sooo far from my female owner's house.
Finally, Bukit Batok Nature Reserve

My female owner says that some parts bore resemblance to parks in Brisbane.
My female owner wondered if this is Singapore's version of strangler figs.
The leaves that Functional Fren said are used to wrap bak changs. Hmmm...my female owner apparently gave him a doubtful look

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook