Thursday, January 14, 2010

friends

My female owner’s holiday is coming to an end. She is getting worked up about it, coz she really wants to extend her stay in Singapore, just to make up for lost time (over moping).

My female owner says that one mindset she is repenting from is her tireless claim that “I have no friends”. Everyone, say hooray! No more rolling of eyes.

Again and again, through this holiday, my female owner finds herself being blessed by different pockets of friends. Friends who initiate meet-ups, insist that they have to meet up and shift around their schedules just to fit into hers. Friends who keep paying for her meals and other expenses coz “you are a student”. Friends who say “so good to see you again!”. Friends who plan activities she enjoy, drive her around, repair her computer, locate things she wants to buy. Friends who spend time listening to her whines, gripes and outbursts.

Although she has been going out most days, there is still a list of friends whom my female owner has not met up with. Call it procrastination, lazy or poor planning, if you will. I will say it’s passivity! Therapist Fren says my female owner has issues about people wanting to be friends with her. I wonder why.

My female owner acknowledges that given her passivity, many of her friendships have been sustained by her friends’ proactiveness in maintaining contact. In addition, she has finally figured out that it is really ok, and in fact, heatwarming to meet up long-time-no-see friends even if they are not really close.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook