Sunday, January 10, 2010

pre-mobile

My female owner took a trip back to pre-mobile days recently.

In the pre-historic days, social appointments were set clearly – time and venue decided beforehand, confirmed through landline phonecalls, face-to-face or alphanumeric paging. Hence, friends had to be physically present at a prearranged time and venue and risk incurring the wrath of friends if they were late.

Mobile phones redefined how social appointments are set. “Ok, meet there around 3pm, call me when you reach.”

And so, my female owner set an appointment with her friend – 4pm at 313, but no specific location within the huge shopping centre. Unfortunately, the appointment was made over MSN and none of them had each other’s mobile number. My female owner arrived 10mins late, lost and tried to think like a guy. She decided to wait near the concierge, entrance of 313 where there were seats for shoppers to rest. She thought it was the most logical place to start looking for someone.

She waited for 45mins, before she spotted her perspiring friend. It turned out that he probably tried to think like a woman. He started from the top and went from shop to shop looking for her… and in the process, learnt that Forever 21 has three levels of shopping space.

My female owner was touched that he took such great pains to locate her in the shops despite his non-shopping tendencies (and even apologised for the oversight) and felt pai-say that all she did was to sit on the chairs looking out for him. She argued that she was on heels so it was painful to walk around. Anyway, she was feeling lousy that day.

So interesting, to see the difference between how guys and gals think.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook