Thursday, April 02, 2009

relative

Working with older adults, my female owner realised that many things she is prickly about, is good in relative terms. For example, age. Most of her clientele are 85 years old and above. How’s that for feeling young? Her ballooning figure is regarded as good by the residents, having received countless compliments on her figure and her personality and even her teeth (?!?!?!?!)

Many things she has taken for granted or never thought about the inconvenience of losing. For example, not being able to walk due to knee problems. Not being able to cut your nails because your hands are shaky. Loss of mobility means that you need to relay on others to bath and go to the toilet. Might impact on your sense of dignity and self-agency as well.

Hmmm.

She also learnt that men will always be men and some of them are quite hum sup… they would touch my female owner on her arm and say things like “your skin is so smooth”?!?!?!?! I wonder how my female owner handled that.

Observing the residents, she felt a sense of surrealism. Their living arrangements are not very different from students who are living in hostels or campuses. Rent a room, make it like your own. Meals provided at regular intervals, laundry services provided. Room service is even thrown into the deal. On-site technical support for anything machinery problems. There are dining, rest and activity areas where you can gather with your mates for food, games (Bang?! Bridge?! Daidi?!) and fun.

Ahh… they forgot to include pets!

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook