Sunday, May 31, 2009

Yiruma - Ways going to school

My female owner is experiencing resurgence in her love for piano music. Some of you may know that she learnt to play the piano from a young age. What you may not know is that she was traumatised by her piano teacher. She was an old cranky lady who suffered from epilepsy. My female owner received home lessons and was often alone with the teacher. Hence, on the few occasions that the teacher suffered a fit, my female owner had to cope with the distress of seeing an unpleasant event by herself.

Certainly not a good way of nurturing a love for music in a young child. In addition, the teacher used to sing the melody line loudly into her ear (might have contributed to her tone-deafness!) and pinched her for fun or to get her point across. The teacher also did not believe in preparing her for music theory examinations and you can just imagine the shaky foundation her knowledge of music was built on. What unorthodox methods of instruction!

Yes, my female owner totally place the responsibility of her undeveloped/ suppressed/ traumatised music genes on this music teacher. Anyway, my female owner has been listening to Yiruma’s music on youtube and she is totally in love with his music. One of her favourite tunes is “Ways of Going to School”. Not only is it different from the rest of his music, it is played by four hands (she has always enjoyed duets more than solo performances). The precision of the two pianists simply amazes her.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook