Friday, March 20, 2009

meaning

My female owner has been busy procrastinating. She is still waiting to start her externship (it’s scary to know that her coursemate has already clocked 50hours in her externship!) with location and days to work unknown. As such, my female owner finds it difficult to settle down and organise her time. It seems as if she can only do two days/ week for her placement and my female owner kinda regret not signing up as a tutor coz it seems like she can well afford the time to teach (and of course, earn extra money).

However, God has been gracious to her. In all these ding-donging of placements (she actually did not want to be involved in this current placement as she wanted to work with abused children), the end result is that she is involved in a never-done-before programme in Australia where the government is supporting a new initiative to grant older adults living in residential aged care facilities access to psychological services. This has implications on a national level and kinda brings greater meaning into my female owner’s work (you know her lah, she always want to make big impact to people's lives). As you know, such places can be really gloomy and depressing for older adults as they have to uproot from their familiar surroundings and loved ones (often without much of a choice) and be put into a communal living setting where they might have to relearn new routines and make new friends (?!).

For all the mayhem that comes with pioneering a new programme and being forced to jump into the deep end, the end result is that students on this placement are being paid for their clinical hours. That is like 100hrs of paid work for my female owner and that covers nicely, the course fees for this externship (yes, my female owner has to pay course fees to work for other people). What’s more, the administrators of this programme is looking to pay students via a bursary system (rather than as wages) so that means that the amount is tax-free. Paid externships are extremely rare and this is again, a demonstration of God’s provision for my female owner’s practical needs. Where once she earned enough per week just to cover her weekly expenses, this time, she earns enough to cover some of her course fees! Ah, the provision is expanding!

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook