Friday, March 27, 2009

death

In summary, my female owner had a bad week. You know she has a bad week when she starts eating more, sleeping more, swearing more and drinking more. Besides the vices popping out like pimples (such a gross analogy right), she also starts to withdraw from people socially and cyberly and completes little work.

My female owner was thrown into the deep end when she started her placement at a RACF (like an old folks' home). Unlike other placements where the clients come seeking for help, my female owner has to go around looking for people who might benefit from psychological interventions. This runs against my female’s owner passive and anti-social personality.

The first day was hard. With the staff clueless about the purpose of her placement, she found herself doing things that volunteers would do, e.g. helping residents to move from one venue to another, pushing wheelchairs, serving them food and drinks and exercising with them. However, my female owner was driven by the age-old maxim that “people don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care”. She told herself that these gestures go a long way in demonstrating to the residents that she was there to care and help them.

The second day was better. Although she was still feeling her way around the facility, my female owner managed to talk to two older adults who looked like they needed help dealing with certain issues. Ah, some validation to her existence at last. While she was affected by some of the sights and smells encountered on the first day, my female owner felt more at ease on her second day.

My female owner was greatly distressed partly because she was confronted with the inescapable fact that she will age eventually … and the consequences of that, some of which include being less strong, more sickly and more dependent on others. How would she want to fill her years and time from now to then? What can she do to age gracefully and live with minimal regrets? If she is single all her life, will that mean that she would be struggling alone then?

Existential questions that have no definite answers. Depends on the thinker’s personal beliefs and values system. Knowing how you want to die helps you to make decisions about how you want to live.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook