Monday, March 02, 2009

A and B

A guy presented at a group therapy for anxiety. His source of anxiety? Making decisions.

This sounds so much like my female owner! She gets stressed everytime she has to choose between two (or more options). Most of the time, she rather have only one option (i.e. no choice) so that she doesn’t agonise about her decision. Otherwise, she wishes that someone will make the decision for her.

This is how my female owner makes decision. Say there are two options, A and B. She will think (not list down visually) of all the pros and cons of both options. Because she looks in-depth at both sides and sees the good and the bad, she ends up in no-man’s land and rather, wishes to have the cake (pros of A) and to eat it (pros of B).

How can?

Anyway, that’s not all. After this analysis, she has to make a choice right? And so, she picks one, gingerly, with hope that it is the right (or better) one. After choosing (e.g. A), her thoughts start to shift. She will look at the cons of A and the pros of B and surely, soon after (can be like 5 minutes), she will start to regret her decision and wish she chose B instead. But the thing is, she would react in the same way even if she chose B.

At times, if it is possible, she might change her mind to take B, but most often, she will then change her mind again, to her original decision, A. The temporal switch is just a coping mechanism to soothe her anxiety.

Am I making sense? If I am not, blame it on my female owner’s haphazard thought processes!

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook