Tuesday, October 07, 2008

slaps

My female owner felt as if she received a few slaps in the face today. The slaps were mainly for allowing herself to be dysthymic for longer than necessary. For the longest time ever, she has looked at her life through a “deprived” lens. No matter what stage of life she was in or what she has achieved, she would conclude that she has not achieved enough, or that she has lost something.

Today, her course-mate told her as a by-the-way sort of thing that she has stage 1 lymphoma (diagnosed early this year). Her course-mate had a previous bout of cancer about 10 years ago and this would probably be considered a relapse. My female owner was stunned at the news. It was the first time in her life that she knows a peer who has cancer and the person looks as normal as anyone. And not only that, her peer has moved on and chosen to live a full life. Such a courageous attitude towards life!

Also, during night class, she found out how someone’s client fell into depression after sustaining a hand injury at work. A random accident that caused her to miss a semester of school, to lose and gain weight, to seek psychological treatment, and to question her dream of being a veterinarian (hey, we need more of animal docs around!)

The fragility of life and health confronted my female owner twice today. Peaceful life and good health, blessings that should never be taken for granted.

Ah, but my female owner still feels blue.. now she feels blue for being blue…

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook