Monday, October 20, 2008

long distance

I just realised that my female owner is having a long-distance relationship(s)…. with us turtles of course! (who else were you thinking about?)

I mean, think about it. She left behind her cushy life in Singapore to venture into unknown Brisbane, with nothing more than her overweight luggage and well-wishes of her family and friends. 9 months on (the same amount of time taken for her Onli Fren to become a mother), she has found “substitutes” for just about anything she left behind – room (an upgrade in fact), friends (church and unchurched, not very close but good enough), colleagues (in the form of her coursemates), job (tutoring to get by), computer (thanks to her silent brother who sponsored a laptop). She even got herself things she never had in Singapore – a potted plant, 7 extra kg (and counting), basic culinary and baking skills. The only things/ persons she didn’t find replacements for are firstly, her parents (irreplaceable!) and us turtles!!

You see, she could have, but she didn’t. She chose not to. Coz she is committed to this long-term-long-distance relationship she has with us. 8 years with my brothers and 6 years with Nanook and myself. Some of my female owner’s closest friends do not even know her for that long!

Such great charm we have, for the puny sizes we are. =)

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook