Sunday, October 12, 2008

decision

My female owner visited her friend’s church today. It was the first time my female owner attended a Baptist service. Quite a pleasant experience, it turned out. The flow was similar to a traditional Methodist service, from the “methodical” order of worship, to the quieter style of worship, right down to the demographics of the congregation.

My female owner enjoyed the service through and through. Her favourite part was the magnificent mix of musicians. Pipe organist (how rare!), backed by a grand pianist and a mini ensemble of violinists, trumpeters and saxophonists. There was even a guitarist and a drummer. A full strength choir added to the charm of the service.

Will Graham, grandson of Billy Graham, preached on Matthew 27:11-26. He used that passage where Pilate allowed his people to set free Barabbas (a notorious prisoner) over Jesus (whom he found no fault) to preach the gospel. It was a very direct message – “making no decision about Jesus is making a decision about Jesus”. The altar call, to receive Jesus, was equally direct – “come up to the front if you want to receive Christ”.

My female owner was stunned at the simplicity of the message. Her little faith caused her to think that no one would respond. To her astonishment, a handful of people from the small congregation responded to the message. It’s not about preaching an emotional message or trying to pull off a persuasive message. It’s the anointing of God moving through the preacher that draws people to God. My female owner felt ashamed at her lack of faith, being blinded by her (psychological) logic.

And even through that gospel message on a lazy Sunday morning (been ages since my female owner woke up early to attend a morning service!), my female owner caught her take-home message.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook