Saturday, November 01, 2008

physio

My female owner had a scare last night, because her friend had undergone knee operation. Apparently his knee had been affected through years of martial art, rugby and track. While my female owner cannot claim to have done years of aikido, badminton and jogging, she still identified with the possibility of having to go under the knife to correct her knee problem.

Today, she had an opportunity to ask another physio fren about her knee. Because they had time, Mr Physio (also one of her jogging kakis) was able to spend some time figuring out her knee problem. He diagnosed her problem as m……… Yes. My female owner wasn’t bright enough to remember the condition, or to even write it down. According to him, the lining between the knee joints might have torn because of the high impact activities she used to do.

He also assessed her left leg muscles (specifically the inner thighs) as being weaker than her right leg muscles, and demonstrated some exercises that would help to strengthen those muscles (my female owner was even instructed to write them down) and tone her body (haha!). Happily, he also assured her that operations are not common occurrences.

Ah, for once, my female owner is the client. She had a taste of being questioned about her symptoms (and found that she was not able to express herself clearly), being taught rehabilitation skills (now she understands that value of a therapist doing something alongside with the client), being clueless about what to expect (and so the therapist should be confident and reassuring), receiving a diagnosis (in a layperson point of view), gathering evidence (which convince her of the problem) and even discussing about homework compliance!

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook