Saturday, February 21, 2009

working group

Brisbane 2009 requires my female owner to adapt to new environments. One of the new things is her new bible study group. Some of you may know that she has opted to move to the working group, as opposed to staying with the student group she was in last year.

Student group was the first bible study group she attended regularly, in a space of seven years. Oh wait, she did attend her Onli Fren’s hubby’s group for a while when she was working.

Anyway, although she did not feel a great sense of loss last year during the farewell party, my female owner (call it delayed response) started to feel a sense of attachment towards the individuals in the Student group, when she returned to church on Sunday and saw them again.

And she started to doubt her decision to move to the Working group. Staying in the Student group would have been an easier option for her. Established friendships, common life-styles, and even, nearer meeting places for their weekly bible study! Moving to a new group causes my female owne to fret over uncertainties and instability.

With these issues brewing in her heart and mind, my female owner made her way to the Working group for the very first time, in a different suburb plagued by the notorious evening traffic jam.

It’s like starting all over again for her as she doesn’t know more than half of the people in the group. Making small talk. Finding out their backgrounds. Introducing herself. Making MORE small talk. Undoing previous experiences. Trying to adjust to new group dynamics and culture. Wondering why she made things difficult for herself. I can’t blame her for wishing she was with the Student group who were baking yummy muffins tonight.

Yet, despite her reservations and awkwardness, my female owner believes that she made the right decision. She can't say that she left the place feeling totally comfortable or at home, but she is willing to give herself time and space to adjust. After all, they are all fellow church friends.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook