Monday, February 23, 2009

day

My female owner has been ruminating about whether she will get along with her housemates. There is always a possibility that things start off well but fizzle out soon after. Anyway, she spent the whole of Saturday with her housemates and found them to be really accommodating and peace-loving.

First, Male Housemate drove them to Rocklea Brisbane Market where the ladies could shop for cheap fresh produce for the week ahead. The three of them had a ball of time trying to teach each other Chinese/ English names of fruits and vegetables. For example, did you know that the Chinese name for bell peppers is simply 大辣椒? My female owner was expecting something classy, at least for capsicums. And if you wondering, how to differentiate the different colours, just put the name of the colour in front: 红/青/黄 大辣椒.

Then Male Housemate kept his promise to bring my female owner to set up a phone and internet line (Now, you need to know that for most part of her life, she had been surrounded by men who do not keep their promises or change their minds at the last minute. Hence, she was not sure if Male Housemate would remember what he said he would do). At their first meeting during the inspection, he had expressed a reluctance to get an internet connection as he did not require one. However, he was still willing to share in the monthly subscription. Male Housemate was a little peculiar in the sense that while he was put off by the set-up fee of $60 each for the phone and internet but he was okay with subscribing to a more expensive internet package ($50/ month for 50G as opposed to $40/ month for 25G) if my female owner wanted more G. In fact, he kept asking my female owner if 25G was sufficient for her (the working assumption is that his wife and him would not be using much).

Then they went for more grocery shopping at the shopping centre and Male Housemate happily wheeled the trolley around. Ah, gentlemanly. My female owner’s type of guy.

After sending them home, Male Housemate trotted off to school to do some work while Female Housemate went to sleep. My female owner read a book and cooked out of boredom. Female Housemate later woke up and attempted to bake a simple cake. And offered some to my female owner. Wahaha! Favour! They were in the living room to talking about cakes and such when Male Housemate came home.

Despite having a long day, he was still in a cheery mood and sat down with them to chit-chat. Another hour of fun chat and intellectual exchange where he asked my female owner about the history of Singapore (?!). My female owner actually managed to provide a fairly accurate account of Singapore’s history (or so she hopes).
In the past, my female owner hardly had the experience of sitting down to chat with her housemates, just for the sake of chatting. This was refreshing for her and certainly in line with how she wanted their relationship to pan out.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook