Monday, April 14, 2008

Proverbs 3:5-6

It’s easy to gloss over Proverbs 3:5-6 because it is well quoted but after pondering on it for a few weeks, my female owner finally caught a revelation.

Trust the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path.

Proverbs 3:5-6

As a “professional psychologist in training” (my female owner likes to poke fun at herself), my female owner is familiar with the distinction and yet, connection between feelings, cognitions and behaviours. That the way you think, affects the way you feel and ultimately, how you behave.

To her,
Heart = feelings and emotions
Understanding = logic, reasoning, cognitions
Ways = behaviours, actions

My female owner, as some may know by now, is prone to feeling blue because of the way she looks at things. Through this verse, she realises that she should trust God in spite of how she feels (and not based on how she feels). Also, she should not be held bondage to her logical mind (her analysis of the probability of weird things happening to her is famously pessimistic) which tends to predict how the future will pan out for her using worst-case scenarios. It has been proven so many times that God works in ways that goes beyond human logic and defies earthly probabilistic calculations. Hence, the call is for her to surrender her emotions, thoughts and behaviours to God and allowing Him to lead her.

Hence, when a dear friend/ sister-in-Christ/ aikido senior asked her today: how's things?
My female owner’s reply was: Trusting God, that’s the only way to go.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook