Friday, October 05, 2007

death by jumping

My eldest brother, Nana, died about 4 years ago, after he climbed over the kitchen balcony ledge and fell 9 storeys down. Jumping off buildings is a common suicide method in Singapore because of the many high-rise buildings. My brother’s actions seemed suicidal, but he certainly wasn’t. He was full of life and curiosity, so much so that he wanted to explore my female owner’s house. In this case, curiosity really killed the turtle.

Because Nana actually overcame all the barriers that my female owner set up to keep us in the Balcony, she didn't know he escaped until the next day. His escapade had brought him to the back of the house where there was no barricade to keep him from falling over.

My female owner cried for days after his death. She could never bring herself to look at his photos (he’s the most photogenic of us all). Perhaps one day, she will bring out his photos to show us. You will then see how handsome he was.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook