Saturday, April 10, 2010

Fated Guy

My female owner skipped dinner with her church friends last night to have dinner with Fated Guy. Remember, that guy that she bumps into at random places. Being the nice guy he is, he picked her up from work and they ended up at West End.

As with the lunch she had with this random Singaporean guy, my female owner felt a little odd initially. The dinner was really the first time the two of them interacted beyond their usual coincidental 10mins encounters.

Yes, my female owner found another person who speaks her professional language, from a slightly different perspective, given that he is a trained social worker (think Functional Fren) completing his Masters in Counselling. Ah, the kind of profile that engages my female owner beyond the typical nonsense fun of a social gathering.

And of course, they didn’t run out of things to talk about (how could you, if it is your first meeting). My female owner gleefully found out that Fated Guy is an outdoor person who enjoys (get this right), camping, bush-walking, backpack travelling and endurance sports. How exciting! There and then, they spoke about doing a backpacking trip around Australia later in the year (although it doesn’t sound feasible for my female owner, given her schedule, it’s still good to have some hope eh?). In her typical passive style, she told him “let me know if you are going bush-walking, I will be happy to come along”.

They also went on a deeper level to talk about their post-graduation plans (Fated Guy is going to graduate in July). While Fated Guy looks to the uncertainty with excitement (he called himself an “explorer and adventurer”), my female owner looks to the lack of plans with fear and anxiety. Certainly a refreshing change from the way she had always looked at her situation. Also refreshing in the sense that he is in a similar situation as she is, unlike the rest of her friends who are already working and comfortable in their current circumstances.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find this highly romantic but I know you are going to say "Idiot, can you please?" back at me!

-LZ

philosophical fren said...

"idiot, can you please?!?!?!"

nth's in the air.

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook