Wednesday, November 24, 2010

silliness

After 78 days, my female owner finally received the report for her thesis yesterday. The good news is that she has a provisional pass, pending minor changes to certain parts of it. The not-so-good news is that she can’t graduate this year as she has hoped. Given that her hopes were conclusively dashed, my female owner’s spirit spiralled downwards. Objectively she knew that she did well. Examiner A passed her without asking for any revisions. Examiner B needed just ten revisions and most of them were nitpicking on her grammar and nothing too conceptual or dramatic. An easy-peasy revision to be honest. Subjectively, she was upset. Her perfectionistic streak was ruffled. Rather than saying she had a provisional pass, she told a friend that she did not pass her thesis. Ah, the difference between a positive statement and a negative statement. My female owner couldn’t figure out why people, including her supervisor, were congratulating her, and one friend even tried to shout her dinner. You see, my female owner prefers things to be definite and not “almost there” – a clear example of her black-and-white/ all-or-none thinking. Either she has a pass, or she failed. You would think that after three years of postgraduate clinical psychology, she has become better in sorting out her inner demons.

I believe one day, she will laugh at her own silliness.

1 comment:

kittycat93mine said...

you are seing the cats side but why dont you tell somethings that the cat do as well like, when I was laying at my window plais my owner wer doing something wierd just a suggestion so the text would be litle more intresting to read. You cuold maybe then do a book of your life but the cat is telling it for the peapol.

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook