Saturday, November 20, 2010

keeps

My female owner says that this year has been a year of building friendships for keeps. As you may remember, she usually keeps people at an arm’s length in the first year of knowing them. After that one year of incubation, she then decides if she wants to bring this friendship to a higher level or let it remain as “people she knows” category.

So, having been in her current lifegroup for two years, it is certainly within her natural timeline to establish deeper friendships with certain individuals. But as usual, her circle of friends remain small and exclusive. It is as if she does not want to open herself to too many people, for the fear of being hurt or taken advantage of..

At the same time, my female owner acknowledges that she is losing friends from the Singapore “people she knows” category. Which upsets her a little coz once upon a time, they had many happy moments together and there was potential to establish stronger friendships. I guess it is a chicken and egg thing – if it’s only “people you know”, then you wont really invest too much into it anyway, and if you don’t invest too much into it, then it qualifies as “people you know”. The good news is that she is still maintaining contact with most of her close friends from Singapore. Anyhow, she is coming back soon, and she will then be able to better assess the collateral damage of being away for so long.

1 comment:

SeaLs said...

Oh Mona, you are still missed!

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook