Tuesday, October 12, 2010

outliers

My female owner recently read a book called Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell. She had read his previous books Blink and The Tipping Point and thought they were quite enlightening. Anyway, my female owner said that three main points stuck out for her.

Firstly, the concept of conscious cultivation, where middle-income parents tend to bring up their children in a way where they are not afraid of communicating with authority figures (e.g. telling doctors how they are feeling), as compared to low-income parents who tend to model passive behaviour to their children.

Secondly, the concept of entitlement, of proactively getting what you deserve, and not letting those things slide because you think you are not entitled to them.

Thirdly, the 10000-hr rule, where success don’t come to people instantly, not even talented people. Rather, it is a matter of hardcore practice and diligence.

Worth a read, she says. Especially if you are a passive person.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook