Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Straddie

My female owner just returned from a camping trip at North Stradbroke Island. Her first real camping trip of her life! For those who don’t know where it is (well, neither do I actually), it is an island at the south east of Queensland, accessible by 45-min ferry ride.

If you think Gold Coast has nice beaches, my female owner says, you should just take a look at the beaches on Straddie. She was so awestruck by them. Crystal clear blue waters, with vibrant waves adding to the ocean roar, complete with soft white sand (it is so soft, it squeaks when you walk on it. My female owner actually laid on the sand directly...soothing, she describes it), a cooperative sun for sunbathing and wide space with few people. Just heavenly.

She spent the weekend just flowing with the surroundings. The environment became a natural playground for her friends and her, as they walked onto the jetty, waded into the water (spotted a turtle swimming by..), monkeyed around on a see-saw, flowed with the currents of the sea (turbulent to a certain extent for my female owner), sun-baked (and sun-baked and sun-baked), beach-combed for mysteries either washed up by the sea, or buried in the sand. Bounded by nothing, not time, not phonecalls, not emails or even MSN. She didn’t even care that she had to submit an assignment the day after she returns. It’s just them and nature interacting. Back to the basics. It was also like a time to reflect and be comfortable with yourself. Before she went camping, she asked God about something regarding her future. He showed her the stars. She thinks she got a clearer idea now.

Coming from a very underexposed background, my female owner also quickly picked up new skills and knowledge in terms of building a tent, using technical tools, marine life, even barbequing. (Thank God for patient friends, I must say. My female owner had her usual travelling mantra in full gear at the back of her mind, just that she didn’t mention it to them). My female owner took some photos but well… as usual… it would take a while to upload them.

My female owner is looking forward to more camping trips. Now is the time, she says!

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook