Wednesday, October 07, 2009

My heart, Your home

If your heart is where God lives in, how would it look as a home? Will it be welcoming, cosy and warm? Or will it be awkward, restrictive and cold?

What kind of changes do you need to make, things you need to get rid of, things you need to add in, so that your heart will become a home for God?

All these years, my female owner’s heart has been small and restrictive. She allowed God to enter certain rooms in her heart, at her whims and fancies. Other rooms were out of bounds; their doors, guised as walls, covered with paintings.

Early this year, through a church friend, God spoke to her about these locked doors. The thing about doors is that, only you can open, and you choose who you want to open these doors to. My female owner decided that it was time to open (or maybe, to first locate, since she has blocked out many of these doors from her selective memory) these doors to God.

Over the past 6 months, my female owner struggled with opening these doors fully. Ambivalence. Memories. Deception. Fear. Doubts. Wounds. At times, she started closing the doors again. And if she did open those doors, she was hiding behind those doors, as if God was welcomed to come in… but she was too ashamed to see Him. As if to say, “God, you can come in…. but I will go out. This heart of mine, is too messy, I don’t know how to face You”.

At times, she became frustrated with herself. And yet, she was acutely aware of God’s presence and patience. She had the conviction that God has never given up on her.

Through this process, her heart now, is looking more like a home for God. The home which she is proud to invite God in, show Him around, and give Him access.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook