Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Mid-Autumn Festival

Today is Mid-Autumn Festival. I know that this is my female owner's favourite day of the year. Every year, for as long as I've known her (that's five years), she would spend the evening with my male owner. The Chinese celebrate this night for many reasons.

My female owner celebrates it as a tribute to her childhood. She finds its therapeutic and heart-warming to see little children enjoying themselves in the park, lighting candles and carrying lanterns. There's a sense of innocence and bliss in the air as children gather with their families to enjoy the moon's warm glow together.

In 2001, after the 9-11 bombings, she remembered going to the park to check out the Mid-Autumn night scene. To her grief, she saw only a handful of children playing in the park. This sight reminded her of how 9-11 robbed the children of their right to play freely, without fear.

Anyway, this year, being single, she decided not to go to the park anymore. She also did not seek out company to celebrate this night. Rather, it became a night like any other. She did steal a peek at the moon though and was delighted to see it shining brightly in the sky.

We turtles also decided to leave her alone... in case she is in her melancholic mood and does not want us to make too much noise.

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook