Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Queueing up to be fed

Contrary to popular belief, my female owner fed us yesterday despite the earthquake that happened between my two owners. In fact she was extra thoughtful - she fed Nanook first. Nanook, as you would know by now, is the largest terrapin among the four of us. For some unknown reason, she ballooned proportionately, while I just fattened around the head, with my shell still constricted. Hence, Nanook, for her size, can still retract her head totally into her shell while I have to make a hasty retreat by moving backwards whenever I feel threatened.

Anyway, being the biggest means that she is usually fed the last. Why feed one terrapin and leave the other three looking in hungrily from outside the feeding tank when you can feed three together and leave the "fat one" outside to wait her turn? Besides the "fat one" eats the most and doesn't seem to know when to stop eating. Hence, for reasons such as these, Nanook is usually fed the last.

This has caused a dent in Nanook's self-esteem. She often wonders why she is usually the last. In fact, she can get quite moody over this and acts out by sulking in a corner, ignoring my owners' call to food.

So yesterday was a pleasant surprise for her, as she was fed first, together with Dodo. Dodo, for the records, usually gets fed first, because he runs the fastest and reaches the tank first. First come first served usually applies at my household. Ah, that's another reason why Nanook doesn't get fed first! She is always sulking in the corner. Oh, but the sad thing was, I became the last terrapin to be fed!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i wonder if anyone has been done in for cruelty to turtles?

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook