Thursday, January 04, 2007

an act of humanity

It’s a new year and it’s time for some reflection. Today’s reflection topic is: ever wondered how life would be if I didn’t hoodwink my male owner into choosing me for a pet? My owners are very dedicated to us (save for the occasional slip-ups in feeding days) and are not the kind of Singaporean Chinese who believe that terrapins should be released into the wild as an act of humanity.

What humanity are these people talking about? You rear us in small tanks with 1-inch deep water and feed us 3 times a day (no, not my owners, but the typical terrapin owner) and just as we are getting comfortable with being waited hand on foot, you pack us into your car and drive to the nearest reservoir to carry out your act of humanity?? By then, we would probably be quite round and heavy, making swimming to keep afloat a near impossible task, much less swimming around to look for food! (by the way, this usually happens after a few months, when we are bigger and "not so cute" and the owners are tired of looking after us.

My blood boils at the thought of such human logic! A pet is for life you know. How can you buy a pet and release it after a few months and call it humane? I don't see human parents doing that to their children! Oh, baby has grown up and learnt to walk. We should find an auspicious date to release him into the jungle for it’s an act of humanity to do so.

Alright, enough reflection for the night. I need to cool off and book my favourite nook for the night! Nanook, make way!





No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook