Wednesday, March 28, 2007

well-being

You haven’t heard from me for a long time and that’s because I had been living in fear and on tenterhooks for the past 2 weeks. You see, my female owner was busy preparing for her flute exam and she spent all her spare time at home, practising her songs and other requirements. Her practise area is usually the living room, right next to the balcony.

How is this connected to our (I speak for my siblings as well) psychological, mental, physical and emotional well-being? Lots, I must say.

Firstly, she plays terribly. Or rather, she screeches, especially on the higher notes. And, being a high grader, she has tonnes of high notes to play. That affects our hearing as we endure the noise pollution. As a result, we get a headache and we can’t rest because of the headache.

Secondly, sound produces vibrations and we are sensitive to vibrations. The sound or rather noise vibrations travel through the air and strike us through our shell (which happens to be made of the same material as human being’s fingernails). The end result is that our shells start to experience tremours (think earthquake) and our sense of safety is compromised. Imagine, our shell has always been our source of refuge and protection. To feel it shaking all the time is certainly testing the limits of our psychological well-being.

Thirdly, being so miserable, we start to feel depressed and lose our appetite. Not only do we feel vulnerable, we are also low on energy… Nah, this third point is a bluff. We will still eat no matter what. Got you, didn’t I?

No comments:

My siblings and I

My siblings and I
From top left: Dodo, Dona, me (Nooki) and Nanook